Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Illustration Friday: Dance



hArrrrrrrrrrrh! A jolly dancin pirate, me hearties!
This Illustration Friday topic really stumped me, probably because it's a really great one. I think I perhaps got a bit too ambitious, then I got angry and frustrated, and then I (almost)gave up. And then I drew this fella in 5 minutes. It's not great but at least he's got some spirit.

What I had really wanted to do was a row of girls at a school dance, looking all awkward and spotty and sexy, wringing their hands and wishing the earth would swallow them up.... remember that feeling? It's really the kind of thing I need some reference for though, all my sketches looked forced.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jayster said...

I love this little pirate chappie. Loads of drunken movement, briliant facial expression too!

2:25 AM  
Blogger lil kim said...

I like him, though i wouldn't want to meet him!

5:47 AM  
Blogger Amy Zaleski said...

First of all, the fact that you can whip this up in 5 minutes is amazing. I love the looseness of it and the humor. I know what you mean, this topic was almost too broad. And I had just done an illo of the type of scene you describe for the "Under the Sea" challenge, so I felt like I had already done "dance." But, somehow these ideas surface and we come up with new things. Your work is awesome!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Amy Zaleski said...

First of all, the fact that you can whip this up in 5 minutes is amazing. I love the looseness of it and the humor. I know what you mean, this topic was almost too broad. And I had just done an illo of the type of scene you describe for the "Under the Sea" challenge, so I felt like I had already done "dance." But, somehow these ideas surface and we come up with new things. Your work is awesome!

2:21 PM  
Blogger C. Bennett said...

Ha HA. great drawing. Like the use of a pirate for dance, Some part of me was thinking of pirates too, when i hear the word was dance. Nice to see some one go with it.
Keep up the great work

9:30 AM  
Blogger Christine Lim Simpson said...

Absolutely fabulous!

I like your sketch. Your character is well design. His expression is awesome. I can see how he dance already. :)

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home